Monday, June 28, 2010

Flying the Coop to the Loire Valley

I am nervous.
I have a sheet as long as my arm with instructions on how to take the fast train tomorrow to the Loire Valley and to Landifer Castle, where I am staying with my friend Natalia. I have known Natalia, for a long time, she is Russian, married to a kiwi, with a gorgeous girl named Marianne whom I am godmother to!!! She of course, like most of my friends, are not run of the mill ordinary..... she is exotic and different and interesting.

It sounds exciting, staying in a Castle in the Loire Valley, but getting there on my own, with no French, and lugging my own luggage, sort of dampens down the scenario somewhat.

Sam gets really pissed off with me not getting the instructions straight away, and having to anally write everything down. He forgets how it was when he came to Chile to stay with me in Santiago, and juggling different language and culture and weather!! He forgets he slept for hours during the day to recover!! I have been holding my own, I must say, to my defense.

Today was so hot, like walking into a fan heater.

I decided to play it quietly. I love this area as there is no such thing as a tourist. The down side is that communications is extremely limited. I sat down at a corner cafe, for lunch, ordered a bordeux rose pitcher (0nly 50mls not a WHOLE bottle!!)

Then, my favourite, but favourite salad. Duck gizzard salad. Love it with a passion. I love gizzards, (dont choke) ..... as you can ask anyone who is close to me, chicken necks and gizzards are my comfort food. Ok, the secret is out!!!
Give me credit, it is not chocolate or cakes or pies or icecream or chips!!!

I am in comfort food heaven. Salad and Gizzards, yum yum yum!!!!!

Anyway, I am off to the country now. No tourist (yay) No Sam to rely on for the next 12 hours. Yikes.
Loire Valley and a Castle. Here I Come.
Wish me luck.




No comments:

Post a Comment